Monday, May 21, 2007

Law & Order

When we arrived Chennai, we were greeted by my colleague who welcomed us to the city with three seasons: "Hot, "Hotter" and "Hottest." And he was right! It averaged 42 degrees Celsius in the day when we were there. The saving grace, though, was that it was not humid. It would be terribly uncomfortable if it had been that hot and humid.

The food was great - as expected. What was not expected was how adventurous Brian was in trying new stuff. We always knew he likes Indian food and has no problem with spiciness but it was fascinating to see how he wanted to try everything on the buffet spread! I, on the other hand, was more restrained with what I'd add to my plate. We did pretty well over all but did experience some stomach upset after one meal at the hotel. Since I have an iron-stomach, I recovered after a day but not so for Brian.

Anyone who's been to India would know what the traffic there is like. It's amazing how the system works! In the midst of all the endless honking, bullock carts cutting the red light and maneuvering motorcycles there is a mutual understanding of who gets the right of way. Amazing! There seems also to be some kind of mutual respect that underlies the chaotic web of traffic.

I was told by my boss (who is from India) to prepare Brian for some shocks but I did not detect any shocking expressions on his face throughout our visit. In fact, he seemed more amused than shocked!

Everytime I visit India I leave enchanted - with its cultural, linguistic, culinary and religious diversity that gives it so much richness and earthiness. Even the chaotic traffic and crowded streets contribute, in their unique ways, to the country its life and color.

Arrriving at Changi reminds us again of how addictive order and structure can be. The predictability of the way things work somehow gives us the misleading impression that we are secure and in control. We are, of course, merely subjects of the system - the system is really the one managing us, not us it.

Well, as long as I get clean water when I turn on the tap and get regulated electricity current to my apartment, I am not about to fuss too much about being "succumbed" to law and order.

No comments: