Thursday, June 21, 2007

Good food, good company

We are back from our weekend retreat in Pulai Springs Malaysia! Pulai Springs is a mere 45- minute drive from Singapore and just on the outskirts of Johor Bahru. The resort where we stayed at was very new and hence nice. Though we paid for a studio room, we were upgraded to one with a bedroom and living area. Since we were there for only two nights, we didn't have much use for the living area.

Let's see, what did we do on our cell-group retreat? Well, eating and sleeping, I guess, would sum up the highlights of our time. On the first night, one of our fellows took us to a Chinese coffee-shop style place where they serve up Chinese dishes with rice. The food was fabulous! And most importantly, when the check came, it was CHEEEEAP!!! Do I sound Singaporean enough, yet? Nonetheless, it was still slightly cheaper than what one could get in Kuala Lumpur... It was pretty much the same deal throughout our stay in JB where we were fed to the rim, rolled into bed for a nap and then off to gorge ourselves again! I can see why and how gluttony can be a sin!

It is always nice to see how Brian enjoys the local fare. Other members of the group had no idea how climatized Brian is to the local taste as, with every meal, they would ask if he's "ok" with the food. I reminded them that Brian survived Chennai! Though in my heart I was actually thinking how he is more adventurous about trying new things than most locals.

As the year progresses, I find my calender filling up fast with speaking engagements and projects. Some of these would involve traveling, too. One project coming up that I'm excited about is conducting some training sessions for Campus Crusade Singapore staff. The sessions will evolve around the theme of sexuality. I'm looking forward to them as sexuality and identity are definitely some issues I've been thinking a lot about in the last two years. I'm glad I'll have the opportunity to research deeper into the area and teach on it.

Since I took Monday and Tuesday off from work for our retreat, my work-week is a short one. Next week, (and I am almost embarrassed to say this!) I am off again for 5 days to Phuket (an island in Thailand on the Andaman Sea). A couple of friends invited us to join them at their time-share vacation apartment at a resort there. We don't need to pay for anything except our flight there. Since I have miles I can redeem, I was able to get a free flight there, too. Unfortunately, Brian will not be joining us as he was not able to get time off work. So, I plan to make the 5 days a "personal retreat." I plan to catch up on my reading, writing, sleep and excercise. Looking forward to some good Thai food, too!



No comments: