Monday, December 31, 2007

Another year

It is hard to believe that it's already the last day of 2007. I still remember vividly how I told Brian last year that I love the months of October, November and December but hate January. For me, January marks the end of the holiday season (read: vacation, feast, gifts, etc) and the beginning of another year (read: deadlines, work, etc). I remember feeling exactly the same way about the start of a year when I was a child as that meant that it's time to go back to school (January is the beginning of the school year in Malaysia).

However, this year-end has been so busy for us that there was hardly any "holiday season." So, I'm not as depressed about New Year's day this time round. New Year's eve will see us shopping for groceries (food prices are slated to increase by at least 10% by January 1) and in the evening, we'll be going to our church for Watchnite Service where we contemplate God's goodness over the past year as we herald in the new one in faith. Before the service starts, there will be supper - teochew porridge (it's a rice congee meal - Chinese comfort-food - see pix below).

Brian begins a new phase of his life on January 2. He will be a full-time student again. I salute his academic stamina!

Anyhow, here's wishing everyone of you as great new start to another year! I'll leave you with a quote from GK Chesterton:

“The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year.

It is that we should have a new soul”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said and to be rememembered throghout the year.