Monday, August 6, 2007

Cleaning lady and her soup

Every other Monday, our cleaning lady, Fung Q, would come over in the evening to help us vacumn, mop and dust our place. Her visit is always a delight as she would also bring us home-cooked dinner. Since I am Cantonese and craving for good nutritious soup is in my blood, I truly look forward to Fung Q's visit as she would often bring soup for us.

Brian, being American, views soup as merely the starter to a meal - not the center of the meal; and this means he can easily do without the soup. The only time when soup is important is when one is sick - chicken soup! He can't and, I think, will never be able to identify with my constant longing for some good broth - lotus root and pork ribs, black chicken and herbs, preserved vegetable with tofu and duck, the list goes on...

The last time I saw Fung Q, she excitedly informed me that a nice young man is courting her daughter. She told me that he is a Christian but she will not hold that against him (she's a Buddhist, you see). She said that as long as he's a decent and good man, she will accept him. She added that what religion one adheres to is not important as long as one has a good heart. Now that condition is broadly inclusive, I thought. How does one define "good"? By what and whose standard would we measure that goodness? Can anyone of us really be good enough to be the yardstick? Reminds me of a certain official who called Jesus the good teacher and Jesus answered him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God." Interesting response from Jesus...

Meanwhile, as I ruminate on this, I shall hope that Fung Q will have soup with her this evening...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, seems like God has presented you with a perfect person to share the Lotus and the Cross....maybe over your Greek salad ;-) I am sure she would like to know more about her future son's in law's worldview.