Monday, July 30, 2007

Crash!

I got back from Jakarta late Sunday afternoon and was exhausted! My head was pounding with a sinus-migraine that started the day before and my body was fatigue from dealing with the numbing pain. Nonetheless, it was great to be back.

The annual haze visit was evident in Jakarta. In fact, I could smell it in the air there. Perhaps that contributed to my sinus. I am thankful that the haze hasn't reached Singapore yet. We have had nice weather the whole of last week - overcast and rainy (yes, such weather is considered a blessing in this part of the world, believe it or not!). And today the sun is smiling but rain looks imminent.

The teaching sessions in Jakarta went really well. I was very encouraged by the participants which came from all age groups and walks of life - students, doctors, college lecturers, etc. Made some new friends - after the first evening, two ladies came up and introduced themselves as doctors who are involved in a pro-life organisation in Indonesia. They said that they were pleased to hear me use abortion as an example in my talk. (I was explaining the implication of being made in the image of God, you see). I believe Indonesia has the same allowance for abortion as Singapore.

Incidentally, trying to spend off my Rupiahs (Indonesian currency) at the airport, I picked up an Elle magazine (not the usual which I would buy). In this edition, there was a long article where women of various professions commented/reacted to the recent partial-birth abortion ruling in the US. Interestingly enough (but not unexpected) was that nothing was ever mentioned of the unborn human person's right to live while the woman's right to choose (and in this case, "to choose" is really "to abort) was touted as sovereign...

No comments: