Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Presently in Chennai

As you would have noticed from our itinerary on the right-side of this blog, I'm presently in India now. I arrived here on Sunday night and will be here till next Thursday (Jan. 24). Just like my last trip, I will be in Chennai (Madras) for a week and then head to Cochin (on the west coast) for the weekend and then to Guwahati (northeast) on Monday before making my way back to Singapore.

The weather in Chennai at this time of the year is wonderful compared to the scorching hot months of May and June. In fact, I look forward to some chilly weather in the northeast where the winter is more pronounced. Getting reacquainted with the Indian traffic is always interesting but I think I'm so used to it now that I no longer squint my eyes when I see a car coming real close next to the vehicle I'm in.

The classes at the RZIM Academy here have been going well. Today, especially, I felt like I really connected with the participants and we had a very lively discussion on Buddhism. I'm also thankful that my sinus (allergic rhinitis, my doctor calls the problem) hasn't bothered me too much since I got here.

One of the blessings on our lives in the past few months has been the opportunity to travel and minister together as a couple. As I was leaving on Sunday, I realized it would be the first time in three months that I'd be away from Brian - and for almost two weeks! So, as much as I love visiting India and seeing friends here, I hope the next week will pass quickly.

Of course by the time I return to Singapore it would be a week from Chinese New Year and we would be getting ready to travel to Ipoh, Malaysia to see my parents. We're really looking forward to that as it's been a whole year since we saw them. Last year had been exceptionally busy for us and it was almost impossible to carve out time to travel to Ipoh. Besides, as I travel so much for work, when I do get a weekend when I don't have to be out of town, I'd rather stay home to catch up on chores, etc.

Another excitement we're looking forward to on our trip to Ipoh is meeting my niece, Xing Ru. She would be three months old by the time we see her in February and I can't wait to baby-talk to her! She has grown to be soooo cute!

Brian is, meanwhile, busy with his doctoral research. He discovered from a fellow students that he can do some of his work at home and don't have to be in college everyday. That's good news! Nonetheless, he still tries to be on campus a few days a week to use the library and all. He has also been busy with his new role of overseeing the Christian Education of our church as a board member.

No comments: