Thursday, April 17, 2008

Soup or congee

I was only away for a night (for work) and Brian's fallen sick! Down with a rather bad cold, we've been trying to self-medicate (Nyquil at night and Panadol Cold in the day) before opting for the last resort of going to the doctor's. It's not a great week for Brian to be sick as he has to preach on Sunday at our home church (always not an easy task to preach at one's home church!).

I, on the other hand, have been trying to fulfill my role as the caring spouse - trying to nurse my poor husband to health by making sure that he takes his medication and gets enough fluid. One of the challenges I face is deciding which is better for him - chicken soup or chicken congee.In the West (particularly in the US), when one is ill, it is traditional to have chicken soup. However, my Chinese upbringing taught me that chicken congee is the way to go for someone who is sick. If you think about it, it makes sense to have congee as the carb would fuel the energy the sick needs. Therein lies my predicament - should I feed Brian with chicken soup (his tradition) or should I go with my Chinese instinct to give him chicken congee? In the end, I settled for a compromise - chicken soup for lunch and chicken congee for dinner. He seemed to have enjoyed the congee when he had it last evening (the ginger in it helps loosen the sinus).So, please pray for Brian - that he'll recover soon enough for the long weekend ahead!

No comments: