Thursday, March 5, 2009

New luxuries

We've survived the first three weeks as parents to a newborn on our own! As my delivery date was drawing close last month, many well-meaning friends were trying to convince us that we WILL need a Confinement Lady (a Chinese version of a postpartum doula)  to help in the first month. While having help would be great, it is extremely costly to hire one in Singapore. Other than the fact that I'm not comfortable having a stranger stay with us for a month, I know the many constraints the Confinement Lady would place on me (like the need to refrain from showering for a month and not leaving the house for a whole month) would drive me insane. So we decided that we'll stick it out and see what happens. 
Craig having daddy-time:
We're pleased to announce that we are coping alright so far. Other than the expected struggle with breast feeding (I can almost write a book on what breast feeding has taught me about prayer!), we are so far merely plagued by sleep deprivation, and for Brian, by my frustrating demands and unreal expectations fueled by my Postpartum blues. Of course, we are also discovering that favorite past times like an episode of Star Trek, blogging or even checking emails are becoming new luxuries. Faced with the option of either a nap or replying emails, you can guess which wins hands down. Hence, this entry will have to be brief...  

3 comments:

Oldyonfoldy said...

Heh you three,

It gets better each day. My baby can now order pizza and iron his own shirt. Craig will get there really soon...

Al :)

Brian and I'Ching said...

Thanks, Al! I'm sure Craig will get there in, like, 13 years! Argh - too long lah.. But we don't want them to grow up too fast either...

Cheryl said...

Glad to hear that you are coping well. I 'amen' to almost all that you mentioned in "New Luxuries".. :-)