Thursday, September 2, 2010

Self-service

Before Craig started at the creche, my fear of mess (especially those which require soapy clean up) had been a deterring factor in Craig's delay to acquire the skill to self-feed. Other than using the fork on his eggs (for breakfast) and cheese squares (for snacks), he was not intentionally encouraged to learn how to use the spoon to feed himself. Besides, everyone tells me that the tots will soon pick up these independent skills when they see how dexterous their classmates are. In addition, mealtimes are happy and easy affairs for C and for us who feed him as he loves his food (his teachers at school never fail to be impressed by his appetite).

However, last evening C decided that he will no longer tolerate being held captive in his high chair and insisted on using the spoon himself. So, after attempts to assuage the hellion's ardent and feet-stomping determination failed, I decided to let him have his way with the spoon and his dinner. I had expected mess and a turned over bowl but the little boy surprised us all by his deft spooning - leaving very little for me to clean up. So I guess a toast is in order as we celebrate this significant milestone of our fast-growing toddler! Congratulations, little boy! You are growing too fast for us to catch our breath!
Post-dinner happy spoon-dance - obviously pleased with his feat:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My great nephew is so handsome. I believe he must take after me!! MISS you guys. Your are on my mind often. The Kid's a KEEPER!!!
A real heart melter in your future. I'm already like hot butter. I'Ching, what was it your mom called him that means, "brings light into a place"? You bet he does!
Much Love to you all from this side of the planet. Uncle M.

Anonymous said...

Just enjoyed the reading video - thanks for posting. Was he speaking Chinese or toddlerese?

Can't wait to see Craig and Emma together! I just hope she doesn't try to boss him around too much - you know her mother (ha, ha).

Much love,
jan