Friday, July 20, 2007

Me, a feminist???

I (I'Ching) was listening to a Podcast by Serrin Foster, the President of Feminists for Life of America. In the beginning of her speech, she went on to define feminism - according to its historical tradition, that is, according to the first feminists of America - Susan B Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Mary Wollstonecraft, etc. Included in the definition is the notion of belief in the strength of women, rejection of violence and exploitation, equality of all human life regardless of gender, race, education, age or any other categories one can think of.

As I reflect on this definition of feminism, I found myself agreeing with Foster. After all, these are exactly some of the values I hold on to strongly - that EACH human life is unique, sacred and hence worthy of protection, love and, most importantly, rights. If that is the case, then I guess I am a feminist in the "traditional" sense of the term - not in the post-60's and post-modern liberal expression of the activism. Now, I've never considered myself a feminist as, for example, it never bothered me that God is refered to as "He" as opposed to a neuter being (besides, God is NOT neuter - male AND female were made in his image); or that women are not to be ordained as the senior minister in some Christian denominations.

However, I would not hesitate to be associated with Feminism if it is in the spirit of Susan B. Anthony:
"Sweeter even than to have had the joy of caring for children of my own has it been to me to help bring about a better state of things for mothers generally, so their unborn little ones could not be willed away from them.” (Susan B. Anthony, 1820 - 1906)

I continue to be fascinated by the early American Feminist movement as I learned of their view of human life - both of women and of the unborn; and how they fought verociously for their rights (quotes all taken from Feminists for Life site):

Mattie Brinkerhoff wrote in The Revolution, 4(9):138-9 September 2, 1869:
"When a man steals to satisfy hunger, we may safely conclude that there is something wrong in society - so when a woman destroys the life of her unborn child, it is an evidence that either by education or circumstances she has been greatly wronged."

Elizabeth Cady Stanton meanwhile classified abortion as a form of "infanticide." In The Revolution, 1(5):1, February 5, 1868: "When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit."

Then again in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873, recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library: "There must be a remedy even for such a crying evil as this. But where shall it be found, at least where begin, if not in the complete enfranchisement and elevation of women?" ("The Revolution, 1(10):146-7 March 12, 1868)

The early American feminists saw abortion as the victimization of women and children. Women were the victims of abortion. However, today, most "mainstream" feminists see abortion as the woman's right! How did we get here??? !!! Who deceived us into thinking that yanking out our unborn babies from our birth canals is our right as women???

For your information: according to statistics from a few years ago, the life of 4,000 unborn babies are terminated every single day in the US. I've been trying to obtain accurate statistics of abortion in Singapore but this has been an almost impossible task. As abortion on demand is legal in Singapore up till the 24th week, I am curious to know how many babies are discarded daily... and my heart weeps for them...

No comments: