Sunday, July 8, 2007

Posting from Melaka

Yes, I am in Melaka, Malaysia again. This is my third visit this year and I am really beginning to get used to this small city. Melaka is a mere 2.5 hours' drive from Singapore but offers almost all that is wonderful in Malaysia like cheap and delicious road-side hawker fare! But seriously, though tourists from the surrounding cities throng this historical centre, things are still relatively cheap. However, I know my friends who come from Melaka will beg to differ!

I arrived here late Friday morning with my boss to teach some sessions on Apologetics. I stayed on as I was invited to speak at the Sunday service of a church here. Every time we come to Melaka, I make it a point to stay at Hotel Puri. It's a boutique hotel located in the touristy part of the city. What I love about it is the fact that it was an old, old Peranakan house. So quaint and if its walls could speak, I am sure they would have tonnes of stories to tell! The staff are so friendly and prompt as well. Having been here so many times, some of them call me by name - it's nice!

Unfortunately Brian is not able to join me here as he could not get time off work and had to teach the youth at our church today. I leave tomorrow for Port Dickson, a town by the sea an hour from here, to teach two workshops on religion and theology. I finally travel home on Thursday evening.

On my trips, people I meet often ask if I miss Brian when I travel for work. What a question - of course I do! Thanks to affordable telecommunication means, we are able to speak on the phone or connect via my Blackberry whenever I am away from home. However, I have also found that being away from him makes me appreciate him more as a person and as friend. He is no longer the roommate who messes up my space but the man who loves me despite my quirks, who comforts me with his clear thinking when I am depressed and unreasonable, and rebukes me when I am mean with my words about others.

In short, when I am apart from Brian, I am assured of the fact that my kind, gentle and supportive bestfriend is praying for me. When I am on the road stressed out or feeling all alone in the hotel room ordering room service, this knowledge stands as a great pillar of strength to sustain me. My appreciation for him never fails to swell my heart with gratitude towards God who so generously placed him in my life!

This present trip is going very well so far. The 30 or so university students we trained over the weekend were sharp and enthusiastic. Our hosts here have been so warm and kind - extended their hospitality without imposing themselves on our space and time. Perfect balance!

By the way, Brian and I enjoyed our dinner at HRC on July 4 tremendously. Their price was more reasonable than we had expected and the food was really good! They have boneless chicken strips done Buffalo wings style and we love that! The only other place that we could find that is Chili's in the US. We are definitely adding HRC Singapore to our list of fave restaurants here.

No comments: