Monday, March 22, 2010

Hong Kong Post-97

Flying into Hong Kong's international airport made me realized that this is the first time I'm visiting the Post-97 Hong Kong. Hard to believe that the last time I was here was 1996 (not counting the endless times I've transited here)! Other than the fact that more Hong Kongers now speak Mandarin, the city seems unfazed by the change of government. However, beneath the fashion and the feasts, a lot more is going on in this bustling city: On one of the nights, I, together with two of my other colleagues, joined Ravi (Zacharias) on the Q&A panel after his talk. A poignant question on suicide was asked. I was subsequently informed that filicide-suicide is on the rise here. See report here: Time article It is most tragic when such hopelessness drives the heart.

My week away was extremely busy - packed with meetings and speaking engagements. I barely had time to see much though my hotel was smacked right in Causeway Bay. But I did manage to pick up some Cantonese kids CD's for Craig. Needless to say he was thrilled to see me home when he woke up from his nap on Sunday. Brian and my mom did wonderfully with the little boy and I was glad that I took the few days off to do some "work." This trip will slowly help ease me back into my working mode come July...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Small world! I came across your blog because I follow "Life in the Polar North Defrosts," and started reading. I caught Biola and RZIM, and thought of my brother, and remembered seeing pictures on his Snapfish album recently. I looked again just now, and you have to be the same people whose picture I saw: my brother is Bill Bradford (you may know him as Kirby). You are holding my baby niece Annelise. Right? My name is Laura, and I live in Atlanta. My husband and I were privileged to see Ravi at a conference on the reality of evil, given in Atlanta. I can't believe this coincidence!
In any case, I enjoy what I've read that you have written.
Laura (Bill's sister)

Brian and I'Ching said...

Hi Laura. Thanks for coming by our blog! Yes, we know Bill and Christine. They are such a wonderful family. Small world indeed!