Monday, March 8, 2010

He toddles, he toddles not

While July is still four months away (that's when my extended maternity leave expires!), I found myself being called up for duty this month. In a week's time, I would have to travel to Hong Kong for a week to join the rest of my colleagues for various meetings and speaking engagements. During this time, Craig will be under the watch of his daddy who will work from home. My mom, who arrives in two days to visit, will also stay on to tag team with Brian to care for the progressively active boy.

A milestone was "sort of" achieved last week - C took his first two steps! He was trying to grab something from me when he took two tentative steps. For weeks now he has been able to stand very stably on his own but had not taken any independent steps. The next day after the first two steps, he took a couple of steps on several occasions. I thought - "This is it!" Finally I can inform friends and family through virtual social networks that my son is officially a toddler!

But since then, he hasn't attempted any independent walk. He cruises around effortlessly, climbs enthusiastically but - no walk. Hmm...

We are informed by countless baby books that a baby's foray into independent walking is also determined by the child's personality. What we have seen of C is that he is a very cautious child. On numerous occasions, he was able to prevent a serious hit on the head thanks to his careful stance as he fell. We are thankful that he is not a reckless baby but you can't blame a first-time mom for wondering when her little boy would toddle...

Let's hope the following episode will not be repeated when I'm away next week:

1 comment:

Catherine said...

same here. after that ""fateful" day of a few independent steps, he gave up. Continue cruising and even back to all fours. the latest, is cry and demand for my hand/ fingers to walk him, round and round, rounds after rounds, the whole house.