Wednesday, May 20, 2009

News

After much consideration (and prayers), we have decided to take my boss, LT, up on his offer: that I take some time off to care for C while Brian takes over my work responsibilities. This means Brian will have to take a year's leave of absence from his doctoral research to do this. This is possible as Brian and I are trained in similar areas and hence the versatility of him doing my job. This new arrangement will begin at the end June after I return from a work trip to the US.

We are very thankful to the local Board of the organization I work for for their flexibility and understanding. Our initial plan with C after I go back to work was to put him in childcare for half a day and then B and I take turns to care for him the rest of the day. However, my work requires that I travel quite extensively in the region. And, to my surprise, I cannot bear the thought of leaving my young baby so often for extended periods of time. Besides, childcare is SO expensive in Singapore that we can barely afford it. When C is older next year and requires less one-on-one care, I will return to work (this is part of the agreement with the Board) and put him in playschool - which will be cheaper.

So, considering all factors, we believe that this new arrangement would work out great. I am very excited to be a Stay At Home Mom for a year while Brian is very enthusiastic about his new role.

On an unrelated matter, it is 5:45 am now and for the first time C has slept through the night (so far!) and here I am up since 3:30 am and not able to go back to sleep! Go figure!

2 comments:

Anna said...

You are very blessed to have things going your way. Truly envy you. Cherish the coming year, it'll fly by!

Brian and I'Ching said...

Yes - we are aware of the tremendous blessing we are bestowed with! So, I'm joining your prestigious club of SAHM's!